Where do I begin?
So today's shittiness actually started last night when I thought that I should check the GEOG112 tutorial stuff to see what we had to do for today's lecture. In simple terms we had to read 30 pages and answer some questions. Easy you would think, well it bloody well is not. I got up an hour earlier and thought that would be more than enough time to get this reading done. However I didn't anticipate that each page would take forever to read due to the fact that it doesn't seem to be written incomprehensible English, but rather jargon. It's like they were banned from using words 6 letters or less and had a 'big word quota' PER SENTENCE. It's like deciphering the fricken Da Vinci Code. So after my attempts of reading 5 pages in 30 minutes I decide to skip to the end where the last two questions are focused and decipher those 3 pages, and I thought I did a good job. I however neglected so note that the questions were supposed to be answered BEFORE the lecture (but more on this later).
So I'm packing my bag, and I know my train 10 trip is in there, not only did I see it but I had only used one trip on it. So I get to the station and get on the train and cannot find it anywhere. I had everything on the seat beside me looking for this damn ticket. Thank god mum gave me $20 for my snapper because I had no other change on me or anything. So that was pretty shit.
Then I'm sitting outside my lecture theatre for about 30 minutes waiting for maths. I think to myself this would be a good opportunity to make sure I know what I am doing for my maths assignment, but I fail miserably. Then there was the lecture itself which was totally mind boggling (that is after he showed us that "when there are a lot of comments in a particular forum, it splits itself into pages as can be seen here with the hyperlinked numbers. To get to the next page of comments, you simply direct the cursor over the number '2' and click. This will take you to the next page. Obviously you would do this to get to the 3 page when there are more comments, and so on"). You think you finally get it, but that never lasts through the next lecture.
So after that I had GEOG111 (physical geo). Our lecturer mumbled on and on for an hour about fossils and what they called and where they come from blah blah blah (which I'm sure we don't need to know really) and then in the last 5 minutes starts giving us notes, but goes through them WAY to fast so that you only write half of them down before he goes on. I'm positive I fell asleep as well.
And then the dreaded GEOG112 tutorial. We get there and I'm sitting with people and we are discussing how none of us have actually read or done any prep for this class. Meanwhile the table next to ours has 4 overly enthusiastic people who have written paragraphs answering the focus questions and have even printed off the 30 pages, read all of them AND have colour co-ordinated highlighting. Then during our 'icebreaker' in which the only reason ice was breaking was because we had to answer all the questions about ourselves and as they slowly get around to you, you get nervous that you are going to forget one of the questions or what have you.
Then our tutor says "I assume everyone has done the reading and the corresponding work. In our groups discuss your answers". So she just sits there and everyone else is discussing their answers and the group next to us are reading their paragraphs out to each other and combining them to make ultimate paragraphs. We then 'share' our answers with everyone and luckily we were last so we just stole everyone else's answers. Our tutor didn't even help us. She just sat there and listened to our answers and when a statistic was being questioned her response was "I don't actually know. Lets do a poll". What if the majority were wrong?
She then mentions the assignment and how we will meet again the week before it is due to discuss how to do assignments. It's a bit late in the game to discuss it then, isn't it?
And that brings us back to the present. With about a weeks worth of notes to rewrite (note I have already gone through half a 1B5 in 8 days), a maths assignment due tomorrow and a 1500 word essay worth 25% due April 1st which I have yet to even research for, yet alone start writing it.
It just goes to show that maybe studying away from home maybe is a better option. These people who wrote paragraphs are all living in the hostel 5 minutes from campus, whereas I spend over 3 hours travelling a day. Those 3 hours could be used to study, but instead I am forced to find time to do my 'recommended 5 hours of study' a night either before I leave, there or after I get home which some days won't be until 5:30.
Whoever said uni is the best time of your life was lying. You get into so much debt only for them to take away four years of your life, from your prime years, which you will never get back. I now know what people mean when they say that studious people don't necessarily do well at uni. The are pretty much asking the impossible out of people who just want to enjoy their lives, while they still have them.
Looks like I'm going to have a marathon catch up session in the weekend. Fun times ahead.
If you made it to here through all my rantings, congratulations are in order.
I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL!
ReplyDeletei dont even know what the fucks going on in some of my classes but every one around us is spouting off shit.
Im just like WHEN did youi have time to do that? WHEN?
I know, people using all these big words and understanding crap.
ReplyDeleteAll I want to know is where did they get their time machine, time turner, freeze-time watch or brain that can memorize and understand everything with minimal thinking. I want one!
Yes, I realized on like thursday that I was ridiculously behind on readings that I didn't know I had. I've been trying to catch up, but every time I finish something I find more stuff I'm meant to read. Not even mentioning the assignments I haven't bothered to look at yet.
ReplyDelete